Facebook button
Twitter button
Delicious button
Digg button
PhotoBox button
RSS button
Dalziel Rugby Club

Dalziel Rugby Club Mini Dalziel Rugby Club Midi

< August >

Featured Player

Danny Davis

Sponsored by:
Jack Daniels Sports Bar

Dalziel 1st XV:12
Greenock Wanderers:23
Shield game @ Scotstoun, 8/12/18 - Match photos - Match Video

Dalziel travelled to Scotstoun Stadium, home of the Glasgow Warriors, to play Greenock Wanderers in the West Regional Shield Final. The winner of this tie would progress to the National Shield Semi Finals in March and a shot at playing at Murrayfield in April.

Early in the match, Dalziel put pressure on a Greenock ruck, and Fraser McKenzie was able to snag scrum-half Andrew McDougall and disrupt the ball. Greenock complained about a potential offside, and the referee, Paul Ellison, immediately awarded a penalty for backchat. The ball was put into touch on the half way line, and from the line out, Graham Calder put a kick in over the top. Winger Pierre Casassus gathered and looked like he was in for the score, but he was adjudged to have knocked on as he gathered and play was called back.

Murray MacDonald broke through the Dalziel midfield and moved play into the Dalziel half. Dalziel were pinged for a high tackle, and Graham Hogg was able to convert to open the scoring after 23 minutes.

Within two minutes, Greenock had scored the opening try of the afternoon. Dalziel put the kick off directly into touch, and from the resultant scrum, the ball was passed blind to Leigh Tyley. The full back managed to get on the outside of Casassus before offloading back inside to Chris McCarron. The winger then had a easy run in to score. Hogg converted and Greenock were now 10-0 up.

On the half hour mark, Dalziel gave away another penalty and Hogg again kicked the points to further extend his side’s lead to 13 points.

With less than 5 minutes left to go in the first half, Dalziel attacked down the right hand side and looked to have lost momentum when the ball was knocked on in the tackle. However, at the scrum, Greenock engaged early giving Dalziel a free kick. There was then more back chat from the Greenock pack, and Ellison marched them back a further 10 metres.

Calder tapped the ball and Alan Bowles charged towards the line. The number 8 was stopped with a solid hit, and this continued for another 3 phases with McKenzie, George Sloan and Bowles all making valuable inches towards the line. Ellison spotted an infringement, and gave Dalziel penalty advantage, but it wasn’t required as Calder spotted a gap and sniped over for a try. Glover was unable to convert, but Dalziel were back in the game at 13-5.

As half time approached, Greenock attacked the Dalziel line, but Andrew Davidson was able to win a crucial turnover and give Calder an opportunity to kick the ball out of play and end the half.

Greenock had the upper hand in the opening exchanges of the second half, but Dalziel were able to keep them from scoring. Play moved to the Greenock 10 metre line where Dalziel attacked from a scrum. Greenock managed to turn the ball over just inside their 22, but took too long for the clearance kick, and Andrew Davidson was able to charge it down. The ball broke to Glover and the full back was able to dive over the line for Dalziel’s second try. He added the extras and with less than 30 minutes left in the game, Dalziel were only a point behind at 13-12.

Dalziel were penalised for not rolling away and Hogg converted the penalty to take the score to 16-12.

The momentum of the game was swinging in Dalziel’s favour, and the next score was going to be clinical in deciding the outcome of the game. Greenock were camped inside their half when Guthrie put in a high kick. Glover wasn’t able to get into a position to catch the ball cleanly, and it took a wicked bounce off the artificial surface. Scott Bellew was able to get boot to ball and hack it through. McDougall gathered and passed to Douglas McIntyre

The second row offloaded to Martin Lavelle, and it looked like Ryan Burrell had done enough to stop the try, but the number 8 was able to return the ball to McIntyre for the score in the corner. Hogg again converted and Greenock were now 23-12 ahead.

Dalziel had 10 minutes left to get back into it, but despite retaining possession for the majority of the remainder of the game, were unable to find a way through. The final whistle was blown and despite the result, Dalziel were encouraged with their performance and what it will mean for the rest of their season.

Next weekend, the First XV host Strathendrick, while the Second XV host GHA. Both games are a 2pm Kick off.

Alex Mowat, Darren Hay, George Sloan, Andrew Davidson, Fraser McKenzie, Jordan Burrell, Iain Davidson, Alan Bowles, Graham Calder, Scott Johnstone, Ryan Burrell, Darren Moon, Callum Glover, Pierre Casassus, Andrew Glover
Subs: Ross Mitchell, Drew Jardine, Stephen Baird, Andy McLaren

Tries: Graham Calder, Andrew Glover
Conversions: Andrew Glover

Discuss this on the Forums

Previous Back to News Next

Copyright Dalziel Rugby Club 2019
Powered by Rawxing.org
If you are receiving spam from this domain, click here for more info.
59 database queries took 0.11338 seconds.