Facebook button
Twitter button
Delicious button
Digg button
PhotoBox button
RSS button
Dalziel Rugby Club

Dalziel Rugby Club Mini Dalziel Rugby Club Midi

< January >

Featured Player

Jamie Muir

Sponsored by:
Jack Daniels Sports Bar

Dalziel 1st XV:17
Ardrossan Academicals:13
League game @ Dalziel Park, 10/3/18 - Match Video

Dalziel welcomed Ardrossan Academicals to Dalziel Park for another round of their BT National 3 campaign. Though disappointed by the postponement of the previous week’s match against Haddington, the Motherwell boys were still on a high after their win over Orkney.

Ardrossan gave away a penalty for offside on the half way line, and this gave Andy Scott a chance to put Dalziel deep into the opposition half. From there, Dalziel set up a diving maul, but Ardrossan illegally halted it, and gave away another penalty. Again, Dalziel went to the corner, and after, what looked like a clean sack by the visitors, the Dalziel pack regrouped and drove over the line; Bengy Barsanti getting the all important touch down. Scott was unable to convert from out side in the strong wind.

Ardrossan kicked through and the ball was fielded cleanly by Lee McWhinnie. The full back took the ball forward, and allowed his side to regroup and reset. First Nikky Devine and Barsanti made good ground before the ball was shipped across the pitch to Thomas Quigley. Dalziel continued to hit the ball up, before it found its way to Ryan Burrell. The big winger moved play up to the visiting 10m line, but his offload to Quigley dropped agonisingly short and a chance was lost.

With 25 minutes played, Dalziel were pressing hard, but were unable to find a way through some strong Ardrossan tackling. Eventually Ardrossan gave away a penalty at a ruck on their 10m line. Scott stepped up to take the shot at goal, but the wind caught it and pushed it wide.

From the resultant 22m drop out, Dalziel were pinged for crossing, giving Ardrossan a chance to clear their lines. From the line out, the ball was was passed to Bruce Hunter, who powered through two tackles to close down on McWhinnie. As Hunter neared the line, he offloaded to the supporting Kyle Wood, who was able to score to the right of the posts. The try was converted, and Ardrossan were now 7-5 up.

Soon after, Jack Anderson was given a penalty shot at goal after Dalziel had strayed offside. The fly-half converted and Ardrossan’s lead was now 10-5.

Ardrossan were trying to utilise the wind advantage, and kicked deep into the Dalziel half. McWhinnie fielded the ball and offloaded to Burrell, who took play up to the Ardrossan 10m line. Darren Moon and Devine both carried well, before Graham Calder fed Andy Scott.

Scott spotted half a gap, and made the break and passed to Quigley. Quigley made it to the 22m line, and returned the ball back to Scott who was able to run in and score to the right of the posts. Moon hit the post with his conversion attempt, but Dalziel had drawn level at 10-10 at half time.

Straight from the restart, Ardrossan put on the pressure and Anderson converted his second penalty attempt of the afternoon to retake the lead for the visitors at 13-10.

Dalziel were being pinned in their 22, but a good kick chase reversed the pressure and saw Ardrossan spill the ball. Quigley was on hand to hack the ball forward. Gav Armstrong pounced on the loose ball and offloaded to Fraser Skinner, who was able to take the ball into the visiting 22, before being hauled down.

Kris Watters looked to have scored a few phases later, but the final pass was ruled forward, and play was pulled back for another Dalziel penalty advantage.

With 15 minutes left to play, Dalziel started to build the phases. Barsanti and Burrell powered up the left hand wing, before play swung across the pitch to find Skinner on the opposite wing. Skinner evaded 4 would-be tacklers to run in and score under the posts from 40 metres. Andrew Glover converted, and Dalziel were 17-13 up.

Heading into the last 5 minutes, Ardrossan thought they had scored in the right hand corner, but a superb covering tackle by Andrew Miller stopped a certain try and gave Dalziel a scrum on their 5m line.

With only a few minutes left to play, and Ardrossan on the charge, Barsanti made a crucial interception and move play 20 metres further away from the Dalziel try line.

Dalziel pushed for a fourth try, but after being awarded a penalty on the Ardrossan 22 with the time up, opted to kick the ball to touch and finish the game. A nervy, but deserved win for the Motherwell men, moving them off bottom spot in the league and closer to safety.

Match Sponsored by:
Match wasn\
Ball Sponsored by:
Match Ball wasn\

Alex Mowat, Stephen Baird, Nikky Devine, Bengy Barsanti, Kris Watters, Andrew Miller, Gavin Armstrong, Douglas Clark, Graham Calder, Andy Scott, Ryan Burrell, Darren Moon, Thomas Quigley, Fraser Skinner, Lee McWhinnie
Subs: Ryan Cook, Gerard Nugent, Iain Davidson, Andrew Glover

Tries: Bengy Barsanti, Andy Scott, Fraser Skinner
Conversions: Andrew Glover

Discuss this on the Forums

Previous Back to News Next

Copyright Dalziel Rugby Club 2019
Powered by Rawxing.org
If you are receiving spam from this domain, click here for more info.
63 database queries took 0.12959 seconds.