Facebook button
Twitter button
Delicious button
Digg button
PhotoBox button
RSS button
Dalziel Rugby Club

Dalziel Rugby Club Mini Dalziel Rugby Club Midi

< July >

Featured Player

Niall McKenzie

Sponsored by:
Nicola Irvine Music

Dalziel 1st XV:24
Shield game @ Dalziel Park, 17/11/18 - Match Video

Early tries secure final spot.

Dalziel welcomed Kilmarnock to Dalziel Park in the Semi-final of the West Regional Shield.

Kilmarnock put the ball out from the kick off, and Dalziel attacked from a lineout. Andrew Davidson plucked the ball out of the air and the forwards set a drive. The ball squirted out the back, and was picked up by Alan Bowles. The Number 8 beat three defenders and as he neared the line, a Kilmarnock player attempted to tackle high leaving Andy Summers no choice but to award a penalty try. Dalziel were 7-0 up after only 80 seconds.

Five minutes later, Alex Mowat and Bowles both made good gains into the Kilmarnock half. Kilmarnock infringed at the ruck, and Andrew Glover had a chance to extend Dalziel’s lead from 30 metres in front of the posts. Unfortunately, Glover pulled his kick wide and it remained 7-0.

On the thirteen minute mark, Kilmarnock had a scrum on the half way line after holding up a Dalziel maul. Former Dalziel player Gary Thornton picked from the base, but was hit and driven backwards by Iain Davidson. The ball was dislodged and pounced upon by Bowles. Kilmarnock were unable to retreat before Graham Calder played the ball, giving the Dalziel backs a free attack. Glover took the ball to the Kilmarnock 22 before putting a grubber kick in behind the covering defence. The ball bounced horribly for the visiting full back, and was gathered by Pierre Cassus, who was able to reach out and score. Glover added the extras and Dalziel were 14-0 up.

Dalziel were building the phases well with the ball finding its way to both wings Ross Mitchell and Fraser Skinner. Mitchell and Skinner were making good yards before being closed down.

Eventually Kilmarnock got field position after a Dalziel penalty, but the line out wasn’t straight and Dalziel were able to clear their lines.

From a line out, Dalziel drove forward, and the ball broke to Calder who set off down the blind side. The scrum half chipped ahead, but was taken out late by his opposite number. In the aftermath of the penalty award, Kilmarnock’s tight head prop Jamie Houston was shown a yellow card for throwing a punch.

Glover put the ball into touch about 10 metres from the Kilmarnock line, and from the resultant line out, Andrew Davidson secured the ball. Kilmarnock didn’t engage the maul, so the ball was recycled to Calder, who passed to Bowles. The number 8 only had to beat the blind side winger and was able to run in and score. Glover added the extras and Dalziel were in a commanding 21-0 lead.

From the kick off, it looked like Dalziel had scored again. After an initial carry from Andrew Davidson, the ball was passed out through the back line to Glover, who received the ball on the Dalziel 10 metre line. The outside centre jinked his way past 4 would-be tacklers, before being hauled down 5 metres from the try line. Kilmarnock were able to recover and clear their lines.

Another off the ball incident near the end of the first half saw Kilmarnock’s Frazer Corrance sent to the sin bin.

The second half started, and Kilmarnock got their first real period of possession. They started to carry off of 9 and 10, and were forcing Dalziel to put in some big tackles in defence.

With about 20 minutes left to play, Kilmarnock put in a high tackle, and Dalziel were awarded a penalty 40 metres out, directly in front of the posts. He made no mistake and added 3 points to take his side into a 24-0 lead.

Kilmarnock were a completely different side in the second half, and continued to string the phases together, but Dalziel’s defence was more than a match for the Ayrshiremen.

With 5 minutes to go, Kilmarnock finally broke the Dalziel line, with Jamie Shedden scoring under the posts. Craig McWhirter drops kicked the conversion to bring the score to 24-7.

With the last play of the game, Kilmarnock won a scrum penalty and tapped quickly. They found the Dalziel defence napping and Fraser Corrance was able to scarper through for a try. The conversion was missed, but Dalziel had won 24-12.

The West Final will take place on the 8th of December at Scotstoun Stadium in Glasgow at 2pm. Dalziel will face Greenock, and are planning to run buses to the game from the club house. These will cost £15 and will include curry and a pint. Please email Fixture secretary Davie Jamieson at fixtures@dalzielrugby.com to book your place.

What Kilmarnock had to say: Report - Photos - Video

Match Sponsored by:
Match wasn\
Ball Sponsored by:
Match Ball wasn\

George Sloan, Jordan Burrell, Alex Mowat, Fraser Joyce, Andrew Davidson, Iain Davidson, Fraser McKenzie, Alan Bowles, Graham Calder, Scott Johnstone, Fraser Skinner, Darren Moon, Andrew Glover, Ross Mitchell, Pierre Casassus
Subs: Darren Hay, Stephen Baird, Craig Gilchrist, Andy McLaren

Tries: Alan Bowles, Pierre Casassus, Penalty Try
Conversions: Andrew Glover (2)
Penalties: Andrew Glover

Back to Fixture List

Copyright Dalziel Rugby Club 2019
Powered by Rawxing.org
If you are receiving spam from this domain, click here for more info.
57 database queries took 0.11063 seconds.