Facebook button
Twitter button
Delicious button
Digg button
PhotoBox button
RSS button
Dalziel Rugby Club

Dalziel Rugby Club Mini Dalziel Rugby Club Midi

< July >

Featured Player

Russell Cramond

Sponsored by:
Dem-Master Demolition

Dalziel 1st XV:47
League game @ McKane Park, 9/10/10 - Match photos - Match Video

Dunfermline Match Report

After 7 games in the Scottish Hydro Electric Premiership 3 league, Dalziel sit in third position behind the only two teams to have beaten them so far. Saturday saw the boys travel to bottom of the league Dunfermline, who were desperate to record their first win of the season, especially as their old coach Davie Wilson is now in charge of the Motherwell Boys.

Dalziel were forced to make another few changes to their side after yet more injuries, yet once again every player stepped up the mark to deliver a good performance and record another good win. There was a debut for 18 year old flanker Robert Johnstone coming off the bench, another player to come through the Youth System at the club and make his mark on the 1st fifteen team. Furthermore, centre John Goldie returned to the fold after a knee injury which had sidelined him since pre-season, and he got stuck into the action straight away with a trademark hand off leaving his opposite number lying in his wake as he broke through the defence. This move should have resulted in a try, but a good tackle from the Dunfermline full-back made sure it wasn’t. Dalziel did open the scoring in the next five minutes however, as a rolling maul from the forwards put Craig Simmonds in for the first try. Simpson was on song with the boot, converting for an early 7-0 lead.

Kick-off re-starts proved to be problematic for Dalziel, as they continually failed to deal with them and put themselves under unnecessary pressure in their own half. They managed to clear their lines from the first re-start however, and from a resultant line-out, a well run backs move allowed Antony Mitchell to step easily through the defence and offload to George Sloan who then fed the supporting Goldie to race in for his first try of the season.

Stand-off Ross McAuley also managed to break through the defence as Dunfermline struggled to contain the powerful, intense Dalziel attack, but McAuleys’ efforts were stopped by a returning defender.

As the half progressed Dunfermline controlled possession of the ball, and a few clean line breaks from their midfield got them deep into the 22, and continuous Dalziel infringements kept them there. Simpson notably stopped each of these breaks with some top class last man tackling. The Lanarkshire men were able to keep the home side from scoring any points during this lengthy period of pressure though, and eventually won a few penalties of their own.

McAuley launched the ball downfield to give Dalzell a lineout on the 5 metre line, and the difference in the sides was shown as almost immediately Dalziel turned pressure into points. Another good rolling maul from the forwards set up good ball for scrum half Donnachie, and he fed the ball to Steven Findlay who combined with Simmonds which created a huge gap in the defensive line, and allowed McAuley to collect the pop pass from Simmonds and score under the posts. Going into half time the score was 21-0.

As the second half began, Dalziel kept the pace and intensity of the game up. A free kick taken quickly inside their own half released Mitchell to outpace his opposite winger easily and then step the full back delightfully to score Dalziels bonus point try. Simmonds got his second try of the game not long after as he collected an overthrown lineout in Dunfermline’s 22, fended off one tackler then stepped, burled and spun his way through a further few tackles to dive in at the corner for a good individual try.

Some big tackles by man of the match Mitchell, Lewis and Goldie were needed as the home side then continued to pressurise the Dalziel line with their huge forward pack. Eventually they crossed for the first of two scores, as the stand off received a good pop pass from the scrum to go over unchallenged. The score was now 33-7.

In typical Dalziel fashion, the boys rallied and replied with another try through Mitchell once more. Showing more than just his pace this time, Mitchell crashed over the line with two defenders attempting to drag him down. Second row Eddy Ferguson was unlucky not to have the same result with a similar burst down the same wing just minutes later.
Before the final whistle was blown the Dunfermline side scored their second try as the scrum half picked the ball up at a ruck and dodged over under the posts to convert. 40-14.

There was just enough time for one more try from Baxendale, but none of the crowd saw it due to a bout of handbags in the middle of the pitch between some forwards. Simpson stepped up to take the conversion with his left foot to make the final score 47-14 to Dalziel. This meant that after a double or nothing bet, this match reporter owed Simpson 2 pints for scoring a kick with his bad foot.

Looking at the 1st fifteen squad on Saturday, it shows how our youth section is paying dividends as only three 1st team players did not come through the age groups at the club. A great achievement, something to be proud of for all at the club.

Steven Findlay, Stephen Baird, George Sloan, Kris Watters, Eddy Ferguson, Fraser McKenzie, Euan Stewart, Craig Simmonds, Ross Donnachie, Ross McAulay, Callum Maxwell, John Goldie, David Aitken, Antony Mitchell, Robert Simpson
Subs: Craig Lewis, Robert Johnstone, James Baxendale, Fraser Duguid

Tries: Craig Simmonds (2), Ross McAulay, John Goldie, Antony Mitchell (2), James Baxendale
Conversions: Robert Simpson (6)

Man of the Match: Antony Mitchell

Back to Fixture List

Copyright Dalziel Rugby Club 2019
Powered by Rawxing.org
If you are receiving spam from this domain, click here for more info.
55 database queries took 0.11467 seconds.