Facebook button
Twitter button
Delicious button
Digg button
PhotoBox button
RSS button
Dalziel Rugby Club

Dalziel Rugby Club Mini Dalziel Rugby Club Midi

< August >

Featured Player

Dale Crombie

Sponsored by:
ADL Lift Services

Dalziel 1st XV:15
League game @ Dalziel Park, 7/9/13 - Match photos - Match Video

Improvement, but no reward for Dalziel

Dalziel welcomed old foes Whitecraigs to Dalziel Park on Saturday which served as a tasty digestif to the Annual Family Fun Day that had been taking place on the main pitch. Dalziel had 10 changes from the team that lost to Falkirk the previous week enforced due to injury and work commitments.

Cameron King kicked off and immediately, Whitecraigs ran the ball back at Dalziel, with Derek McMillan tackling the ball carrier in to touch.

From a Whitecraigs’ scrum on the half way, Dalziel failed to deal with a chip through, and the visitors seized on the opportunity to ship the ball wide to score in the corner. The conversion was successful, giving Whitecraigs a 7-0 lead after 4 minutes. From the kick off, Whitecraigs again ran the ball at Dalziel, and looked as if they were going to score a second, but winger James Baxendale put in a telling tackle and was able to turn over the ball to stop the attack.

Having held Whitecraigs up over the line, Dalziel put pressure on a scrum, and as Lee McWhinnie intercepted, thought they were able to clear their lines. However, the Referee pulled them back for a penalty, which was converted to extend Whitecraigs’ lead to 10 points.

Dalziel began to string some phases together, McMillan, Baxendale and Crawford Reid all making good gains for the home team, before a loose pass was dropped and Whitecraigs were able to regain possession. They set up a ruck, before 2 quick passes developed an overlap allowing the winger to out-run the covering McWhinnie and score in the corner. The conversion was missed, but Whitecraigs were winning 15-0 after only 20 minutes. A few minutes later, Whitecraigs were awarded another penalty for hands in the ruck, which was duly converted to put the score at 18-0.

From a Whitecraigs’ lineout, deep in their own half, Kris Hughes rose to disrupt the ball and steal the lineout. Barry Turnbull was the first to attack the line, gaining good ground before Baxendale got Dalziel to within 2 metres of the line. A quick pop from King at the base of the ruck found McWhinnie who reached out and scored in the corner. King converted to pull Dalziel back to 18-7.

Another searing break by Baxendale found Dalziel deep in Whitecraigs territory, and after McMillan forced a penalty, Dalziel kicked for touch. Pulling off a well worked move, Craig Simmonds crashed over to score his third of the season. King was unable to replicate his previous kick, the ball just landing short of the posts but Dalziel were back in the contest at 18-12.

On the stroke of half time, Dalziel were awarded a penalty for hands in the ruck, King stepped up and slotted the kick to take the half time score to 18-15 in favour of the visitors.

At the start of the second half, Whitecraigs forced a knock on which gave them a scrum just inside the Dalziel half. As they attacked, the Dalziel midfield flew up to put pressure on, but this left a dog-leg in the defence, which was exploited to allow Whitecraigs in for an easy score. With the second half, only minutes old, Whitecraigs were now 25-15 ahead.

Dalziel pressed downfield, and from a catch and drive, almost scored, but were denied when a Whitecraigs Player collapsed the maul, and was promptly shown a yellow card. As Dalziel attempted to repeat the drive, the ball was lost, and Whitecraigs cleared the ball up the field.

Despite the man advantage, Whitecraigs gained the first points of the sinbinning, converting a penalty, after a Dalziel player didn’t roll away at a ruck.

Dalziel continued to push for a third try, but resilient defending by Whitecraigs was stopping them at every attempt. Play then swung downfield, and Whitecraigs demolished a previously dominant Dalziel scrum, providing go forward ball to their backs. The ball was shipped wide to the winger to score in the corner. The conversion was missed, and the full time score was 33-15 to Whitecraigs.

Reflecting on his side’s defeat, coach John Mathieson commented, “After the opening ten minutes of this game, the players could have hidden and been on the receiving end of a big score. However, they showed great character and played some fantastic free flowing rugby that could, and should, have had further points on the board. Like the previous two games, a lack of composure and some poor decision making cost us on saturday. I am delighted with the response so far at training from all the players and the atmosphere at the club has certainly improved.”

Match Sponsored by:
Match wasn\
Ball Sponsored by:
Match Ball wasn\

David Irvine, Stephen Baird, Stuart Caulfield, Eddy Ferguson, Kris Hughes, Euan Stewart, Grant Neilson, Craig Simmonds, Cameron King, Ross Westwood, Derek McMillan, Crawford Reid, Barry Turnbull, James Baxendale, Lee McWhinnie
Subs: George Sloan, Lee McGowan, Lewis MacSween, Ross Donnachie

Tries: Craig Simmonds, Lee McWhinnie
Conversions: Cameron King
Penalties: Cameron King

Back to Fixture List

Copyright Dalziel Rugby Club 2019
Powered by Rawxing.org
If you are receiving spam from this domain, click here for more info.
57 database queries took 0.11236 seconds.